Monday, September 16, 2013

Today's Song - Fallin' by Trip Lee ft. J. Paul


For most of you that are familiar with the Christian Hip Hop (CHH) scene, Trip Lee is a household name and his song "Fallin'" is no novelty. If for some reason you haven't heard it and consider yourself a CHH fan, this one will rock your world.

"Fallin'" might be one of my favorite 5 songs period. Especially for a young man growing up in a world that tends to objectify women, the struggle to maintain purity is persistent and continuous. There are a couple responses to this struggle. One of them is to give up, label our failure as "relative" and justify it each way we can. On the flip side, another answer is to beat ourselves up, weighed down by our depraved reality. Trip Lee's song really provides honesty and insight into these responses amidst struggle and offers an unbelievably refreshing, and comforting reminder that we are not alone and that an unconditional love has been offered to us, the Giver being One who continually picks us up.

Here are some of Trip's lyrics:
I don't really want it but it's calling my name
"William you come and get me I can take away the pain 
Come a little closer you got everything to gain" 
But I got to much to lose I'm bout to go insane 
I been here too many times got my head low 
If I gave a dime for every time I'd be dead broke 
I feel that battle in my soul the pressure closing in 
My passions asking for a pass and I can't hold it in 
There I go again no self control again I'm too good at giving in 
Feeling like throwing in the towel the guilt is closing in 
Sometimes I climb the heights but I'm at my lowest sin 
Cloaked in deception and overdosing on potent sin 
I'm so gone baby wanna be home again 
Wanna feel whole again come fill this hole again 
Now I'm doubled over with my face in my knees 
At your side is where I wanna be 
But there I go again I'm falling 


(Chorus - J. Paul)
Face to the pavement
Once again faced with the same sin
(There I go again I'm falling)
I don't think I'm a make it
Don't know how much longer I can take it
(There I go again I'm falling)
So I'm caught up in this sin
I wonder if I see Your face again
(There I go again I'm falling)
Falling Falling Falling
There I go

It seems as if all is lost, but Trip's bridge carries the true message behind his song:

Everytime I fall He go'n pick me up
The Lord is my shepherd homie He go'n pick me up
I fell into the trap again but He go'n pick me up
Remind me of His promises in Him I put my trust
I don't never have to give in to the lies
I'm feasting on His word all my sin I do despise
So now I'm down before His throne praying on my knees
Asking Lord give me grace please
I don't wanna be falling 



Trip Lee is part of Reach Records and more of his work can be found here.

Best,
Felix

No comments:

Post a Comment